Who can enter?
What should my artwork include?
Questions to help you get started...
- What is your favorite fossil?
- Does your state have an official state fossil?
- Are there any fossils your hometown, state, or region, are famous for?
- Are there any fossils found only in the US?
- What fossil do you think would make a good National Fossil? Why?
All artwork should be able to fit inside a 13"x 17" envelope or smaller, or if submitting a digital photograph, the image should be no larger than 2 Mb.
How large should the artwork be?
What do I need to submit?A valid submission will contain the following information:
- An original copy of the artwork. Each piece must be original, authentic, unpublished, the sole property of the entrant, and not previously submitted in any other contest. Make sure to include, either on the artwork or on your submission form, a sentence or two explaining why you think the fossil you nominate would be a good National Fossil.
- Your personal information, printed on either the back of your artwork or on a separate sheet attached to your artwork:
- First and last name (as it appears on your entry form)
- A completed and signed entry form. Print out the entry form here and send it to us when you send your artwork. Entries cannot be accepted without a signed entry form (if under 18, a parent, guardian, or teacher must sign).
- Optional - If you would like to submit a digital photograph, send your personal information, along with your attached photo to National_Fossil_Day@nps.gov with the subject line: NFD 2013 PHOTO CONTEST. You must also mail in a signed entry form.
- All mailed entry forms must be sent to:
National Fossil Day 2013 Art Contest
American Geosciences Institute
4220 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22302-1502
When is the deadline?All submissions must be postmarked by 5 p.m. EST, Friday, October 4th, 2013. Entries postmarked later will not be eligible. Entries cannot be returned. American Geosciences Institute cannot confirm receipt of entries.
How will the artwork be judged?The artwork will be judged by a panel on originality, creativity, quality and, most importantly, relevance to the topic. Submissions will be separated into and judged based upon the following age groups:
- 8 years old or younger
- 9 to 13 years old
- 14 to 18 years old
- 19 years old or above
The winning artworks and photographs for each category, and the 6 entries chosen to be National Fossil Candidates, will appear on the National Fossil Day website starting on or after October 16th, 2013. Check the National Fossil Day website to see if your work has been selected! To see last year's winners, click here.
If you have any problems or questions regarding the art contest, please contact the National Fossil Day staff at National_Fossil_Day@nps.gov. We look forward to your feedback!
You must emial the pebble pup leader letting him know you are entering the contest and hae submitted your work before the deadlline. email email@example.com